Motivation and goals
The Containerization Working Group aims to support running the Dataverse software within containers. Containers may be used in very different contexts such as development, testing, staging and production. They also are a way to run the Dataverse software and its dependencies and integrations in enclosed units on different platforms of operating systems and/or hardware. This working group aims to include many perspectives and use cases to make sure the Dataverse community’s needs are covered.
New features and bug fixes 🎁
- 2023-04-25 Application images (Dataverse, not just the base image) are being pushed to registries (Docker Hub and GitHub Container Registry). See https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/pull/9447 and related discussion.
- 2023-04-04 DOI JVM options can now be configured using MPCONFIG. See https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/pull/8828.
- 2023-03-20 If you have Java and Maven installed, you can spin up Dataverse in Docker! See dev usage and https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/pull/9439.
We presented a roadmap as a proposal as a series of milestone during the 2023-04-18 Dataverse Community Call (notes, recording):
- Milestone A: For backend (Java) developers
- Milestone B: For API client testing
- Milestone C: For an integration/frontend developer (w/o Java)
- Milestone D: Improve developer experience
- Milestone E: Demo or evaluation
- Milestone F: Demo with some configurability
- Milestone G: Run API tests in containers
As we merge pull requests, we will update “new features” list above. We’ll use the Containerization column of the Dataverse Global Backlog board to indicate specific issues or pull requests we plan to work on next.
Working group meetings
We welcome anyone to join our meetings! The Zoom link is https://harvard.zoom.us/j/91061519853?pwd=U1lQR1ExMlo3Ty9XUVJIM2ZPNW1mdz09
- 2023-03-21, 15:00 UTC kickoff, during the Dataverse Community Call (notes, recording).
- 2023-03-23, 14:00 UTC meeting (notes, recording)
- 2023-03-30, 14:00 UTC meeting (notes, recording)
- 2023-04-06, 14:00 UTC meeting (notes, recording)
- 2023-04-13, 14:00 UTC meeting (notes, recording)
- 2023-04-18, 15:00 UTC during the Dataverse Community Call (notes, recording)
- 2023-04-20 no meeting!
- 2023-04-27, 14:00 UTC meeting (notes, recording)
- 2023-05-04, 14:00 UTC meeting (notes, recording)
- 2023-05-11, 09:30 Eastern meeting (notes, recording)
- 2023-05-18, 09:30 Eastern meeting (notes, recording)
- 2023-05-25, 09:30 Eastern meeting (notes, recording)
- 2023-06-01: no meeting!
- 2023-06-08: no meeting!
- 2023-06-15, 09:30 Eastern meeting (notes, recording)
Get in touch
Please join us in Zulip (preferred) or chat.dataverse.org.
- Dataverse Containerization Proposal/Roadmap
- Dataverse Container Guide (pre-release preview)
Existing prior containerization efforts:
- Dataverse on K8s: gdcc/dataverse-kubernetes, k8s-docs.gdcc.io
- Derived: EOSC-synergy/dataverse-kubernetes
- Archive in a Box: IQSS/dataverse-docker
- Docker All In One (AIO): IQSS/dataverse/conf/docker-aio
- KU Leuven RDM Repository: libis/rdm-build
- LIP Computing: lip-computing/dataverse
- Patrick Carlson: PR 8709
- NDS Labs Service Catalog: nds-org/ndslabs-specs
Improving this website
Please feel free open an issue or create a pull request at https://github.com/gdcc/ct.gdcc.io